b. 1809, Hampshire UK d. 28 May 1874, Mount Barker SA.
Edward Brooks arrived in South Australia on 22 March 1839, having completed his apprenticeship as a painter and glazier with his uncle, John Beare of New Sarum, and probably to join another uncle, Thomas Hudson Beare already living in Adelaide.
He immediately gained employment as a painter and glazier but also provided leadlight windows for clients. He appears to have entered business on his own behalf around 1851 when he advertised his Oil, Colour, Glass and Paint Warehouse in Rundle Street, and Kermode Street, North Adelaide in the South Australian Register. He touted his experience in ‘the three oldest shops in the mother-country, conducted by his relatives’ and expressed a wish ‘to give entire satisfaction in all work entrusted to his care, having determined to execute all work in pure English style’.
In 1855 he executed a single-light window, Faith, Hope and Charity, for Mr. F.T. Dutton, as a memorial to his late wife, which was erected in Christ Church Anglican, North Adelaide. The window was made up largely of gilded text and was replced in 1901 by a figurative window, Justice and Charity, designed and made by James Powell & Sons in London, a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Dutton.
The majority of Edward Brooks windows appear to be relatively simple leadlights or zinc lights that were in keeping with the modest buildings of that time and, as was the case at Christ Church, many of his windows have been replaced with figurative stained glass as donors and funds allowed. However, extant examples can be seen in churches at Robe, Burra, Gawler, Moonta as well as inner city Adelaide. A series of windows dedicated to his uncle, Thomas Hudson Bearre, was installed at Yankalilla in 1861 and St. John’s at Salisbury contains nine windows by Brooks.
It seems that it was not all plain sailing for Brooks as he appeared in the Insolvency Courts in 1852 and did not appear to declare a final dividend until 23 May 1954. Apparently he continued to trade, as in 1853 he took an employee, Frederick Sutch, to court for embezzling monies ‘from his master’ in January and February of that year. The man pleaded guilty of theft of 36 shillings and 18 shillings on two separate occasions, which resulted in a prison sentence of six months.
Brooks lived at Kermode Street, North Adelaide with his wife Rachel (d.1900) and had two sons, Charles Henry and William Hudson. Brooks died unexpectedly while supervising the installation of windows at the Mount Barker Catholic Church; William continued the business for some time after his father’s death. It seems that William generally maintained the 1860s style and techniques of his father and was responsible for glazing the windows at the Stirling Catholic Church in 1883.
Donovan and Donovan, 150 Years of Stained & Painred Glass, pp.32-33
South Australian Register, 1850-1901
Last updated 18/02/12
b. 1950, Lysekil Sweden
Immigrated with his father, Per Ivar Akerblom, to Australia post-Second World War. Arrived at Maribyrnong Migrant Hostel in Melbourne on a Sunday and used the local ‘Pink Pages’ telephone directory to find suitable employment. He began working at E.L. Yencken & Co. immediately, watching the experienced hands at first, before moving to cutting blocks of glass – 66 sheets in a block. His father worked for the window manufacturer, Stegbar and later Peter joined him there, cutting glass for house lots.
Akerblom started making leadlight windows in his spare time and Akerblom Snr. opened Leadlight and Art at North Road, Ormond where both men worked before Akerblom Snr. founded Armadale Stained Glass with Bruce Jones in 1974, then based in High Street, Armadale. Akerblom Snr. retired and Norman Beilby joined the firm. Akerblom, Beilby and Jones worked together for eight or nine years.
Akerblom ‘retired’ in 1986 and was working as a builder when he answered an advertisement for a leadlight craftsman at Caulfield Leadlight. He entered a short-term partnership with Warren Scanlan which lasted for the next 15 years, until Warren retired. The firm became Caulfield Leadlight Pty. Ltd. in 2002 and continues to operate under this name, although it is now based in the Berwick/Narre Warren area of Melbourne.
Last updated 10/o2/09
BEH19 Jan 2011
b. 1924 Richmond Vic.
It was not until 1980 that Vic Burns became a student of Klaus Zimmer’s at Caulfield Institute of Technology. His first commission was eight stained glass windows for a (unamed) Thornbury church which began a 26-year career making 123 windows for 32 churches, chapels and schools. He has always worked in a home-based studio without assistants using leadlight, stained glass and dalle de verre methods of construction.
In 1986 Burns designed a stained glass window of ‘The Nativity at Uluru’ to be the cover of The Advocate Press. It received the Religious Press Association award for the Most Original Design of 1986.
Portrait of Graham Arthur (Capt. 1961), Hawthorn Football Club, Waverley, Vic. 1990
Christ Child with the Elders in the Temple, St. Dominic’s Catholic Church, Camberwell, Vic. 1993
Christ; Madonna (dalle de verre), Jesuit College Chapel, Kew, Vic. 1993
Mary McKillop and Caroline Chisholm; Portrait of Rev. Fr. Pedro Arrupe, St. Ignatius Catholic Church, Richmond, Vic. 1994, 1996
41 dalle de verre windows, St. Peter’s Chanel Catholic Church, Deer Park, Vic. 1997-2006
Christ’s Supper at Emmaus, St. Columb’s Anglican Church, Hawthorn, Vic. 2000
Stained glass window, Kilbreda College, Mentone, Vic. 2002
A Missionary Journey, Convent, Highgate, Perth, WA. 2002
Single dalle de verre window, St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Malvern, Vic. 2006
Retired in 2008
Last updated 10/9/2009
Nee: Piper; Matthews
b. 1954 Broken Hill, NSW
Attended Art School Wollongong Technical College, 1971.
Employed at Victorian Leadlight Magic Studio in 1992 as artist and maker of domestic and ecclesiastical stained glass. From 1993 to 2000 she ran Leonie Matthews Stained Glass, Wodonga, Vic. and has been in Sydney since 2000.
The Resurrection and six altar windows, Christ Church, Tallangatta, Vic. 1994
Jasper Memorial window (St. Cecelia), St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Rutherglen, Vic. 1995
Entire church, Holy Spirit Catholic Church, Albury, NSW. 1995-2001
Kiln-formed tiles with inclusions, Border Medical Imaging (reception desk), Albury, NSW. 1996
Lieschke Family Memorial windows, St. Barnabas’ Anglican Church, Henty, NSW. 1996-7
Habermann Memorial windows (Jesus and Child); Wenke Memorial windows (Angel), Zion Lutheran Church, Walla Walla, NSW. 1997, 1998
Mary McKillop window, St. Joseph’s Catholic School, Nurmurkah, Vic. 1998
Voyage of St. Brendan, St. Brendan’s Primary School Library, Shepparton, Vic. 1999
Jesus and the Children, St. John’s Anglican Church, Corowa, NSW. 2002
Stephenson and Davey Memorial windows, St. John the Baptist Anglican Church, Lennox Head, NSW. 2003
141 Kingsway Cronulla NSW 2230
Last updated 18/1/09